Cool Runnings - My First Chip in Silicon is Ticking!!


The most awaited time has arrived. "CoolRunnings" is the first chip I have seen in Silicon in my career. The samples of the CRS has arrived today and the basic validation tests were done which are all passed. Entire team is very happy after hearing the news from my manager Vishal. Though my contribution to CRS is small as I joined the team in later times, but I will be very happy if I hear that the buggy boundary strength logic and quantization logic is not giving pain to the firmware guys in CRS as they did in QV1500 - the previous chip.

So, Quartics is the company where I have seen my first tape-out as well as first chip-out in silicon. Wonderful experience. Nilesh my local manger in IDC said "Though we might have seen many successful chips in our career, this is a big achievement for us as this is an exceptional case in which the chip has passed most of the test-cases just with in 5 hours after starting validation". One more thing which brings smile on everyone face is that, we got a Dairy Milk chocolate. Hmm!! that might not be the real cause - as everyone knows if the chip passes the validation successfully they are going to get an interesting stuff that is obviously more important than a chocolate. :)

This is the team member list - "Vishal (Sharma Jee), Nilesh, Duncun, Yatin, Ajay (Ajjoo bhay), Jatinder (Jims/Papaji), Sameer (Sam), Atul, Iqbal (Iqbaaaal), Jaya, Sumant (Don), Rashmi and Gani(me)". Kavitha (Kav) is not in my team but she is my HR, but I can't exclude her from the list. So finally Kav.

Looks like there are some speculations on my IDC team regarding its capability of delivering a chip, but we proved ourselves that WE CAN DO IT!! to the US management. But of course no one trust a debuting player till he hits a CENTURY or some good runs. If he hits the first ball a SIXER, then people may become fan of him!! I guess we hit the SIXER.

Comments